About this episode: This week we have the first Newsletter Crew community episode. We’re going to start doing community episodes frequently now. These episodes will consist of having 3-4 members of the Newsletter Crew community come on and discuss hot topics within the newsletter space. And this week we’re discussing a very interesting topic. Are we in a newsletter bubble? This week we have Zahid, Reza, Rohan, and David joining us! Zahid is a newsletter publisher and maker of Mereku, a discovery platform for newsletter content. Reza, who is a writer and startup growth strategist and Head of Growth at Sorted and writes a weekly newsletter called Out of Curiosity, which promotes mental models to help you get 1% better every day. Rohan runs the Bootstrapped Branding newsletter which helps all kinds of early-stage entrepreneurs build killer brands without big budgets, personal connections, or prior experience. and David who runs The Land of Random, a newsletter rediscovering the magic of the internet.
Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vnL75CsSKA
Feature Newsletter Growth Story: This week we’re featuring Victor Lei, creator of The Average Joe newsletter. Victor’s newsletter is growing 30% faster with a SparkLoop referral program without having to lift a finger.
Show Notes & Insights:
- We’re still early in this newsletter cycle. The bubble is far out but coming.
- A lot of people will drop off after they either go back to work or their circumstances change.
- Are we really in a “bubble” or simply a hype cycle?
- Newsletters are becoming what blogs were ten years ago.
- Our tastes are shifting, we all want to go straight to the source.
- The ways, means of creation, and barriers are entry have been changed. It’s so much easier to start a newsletter today.
- Newsletters are a medium that will get more popular due to the sea of content that’s here.
- Newsletters get the keys to the kingdom.
- Most people who start a newsletter will drop off.
- There is something inherently human about newsletter type of communication.
- Newsletter fatigue is only happening in our own newsletter bubble. Normal people probably are only subscribed to one or two newsletters.
- Practice in public.
Newsletter Crew Community Guests:
- Zahid Lilani: @ZahidLilani, Mereku
- Reza Saeedi: @rezsaeedi, Out of Curiosity
- Rohan Gandhi: @timesnewrohan, Bootstrapped Branding
- David Nichols: @land_ofrandom, Land of Random
Patreon: if you’re interested in supporting the show, become a patron here https://www.patreon.com/newslettercrew. We’ll be reading the supporters each week.
Newsletter Crew Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.