About this episode: In this episode, we have Peter Cooper, the god-father of newsletters according to Chris Osborne. Peter runs over 10 newsletters, so we're going to discuss how he's managing a newsletter empire. We'll also discuss how your newsletter can survive in the long term.
Show Notes & Insights:
- If you're running a newsletter and are looking to start another. Find a topic that's ancillary to your main newsletter. You'll have a lot of overlapping audiences that can give you an amazing boost at the beginning.
- Newsletters are just a better way with connecting to your audience.
- Over the last 10 years, there has been fatigue with other online formats (blogs, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc). Newsletters fell out of style, but are coming back due to this fatigue.
- A newsletter can't just run that same format forever. There needs to be some sort of changing or shaking up of the format. Pay attention to what's happening out there to know where to take your newsletter next.
- Your newsletter has a higher chance of dying from you losing motivation than from you losing too many subscribers.
- Keep iterating on your newsletter. If you love the topic you're writing about, you'll keep making it better and better every week.
- Outsource the parts of the newsletter you're not good at. Double-down on what you are good at.
- If you have glaring weaknesses and the business case to support it, absolutely hire out someone to take that part over.
- Quality isn't necessarily a big indicator of success in a newsletter.
- If you can't get sponsors, try implementing a classified ad system. Podnews.net does this really well.
- It's worth experimenting with very specific targeted paid ads to grow your subscribers.
Newsletter + Guest Info:
Patreon: if you’re interested in supporting the show, become a patron here https://www.patreon.com/newslettercrew. We’ll be shouting out the supporters each week.
Newsletter Crew Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.