About this episode: This week we have Ernie Smith, a veteran in the newsletter space. Ernie has been running his newsletter Tedium for over six years and is also the founder of the Newsletter Nerds Facebook group. In this episode, we discuss what makes a newsletter successful, his newsletter tech stack, and the future of newsletters.
Show Notes & Insights:
- A successful newsletter has a good sense of it's own identity. You know what you're going to get when you read it.
- A newsletter is one of those mediums where you can mold it to whatever makes sense for your audience. There isn't one successful structure or type of newsletter.
- Over the years of running your newsletter, your tech stack will change and mold to what you need. Don't be afraid to switch when you need to.
- The best email service provider for any newsletter is the one that makes the most sense for your newsletter.
- How hands-on do you want to be with the tech of your newsletter? That should be a critical point in choosing the right ESP.
- The scope of a newsletter is the big difference compared to a traditional publication.
- There haven't been many improvements to email or reading email 5 years ago. For example, the process of writing emails still requires the use of tables, which is really resource-heavy code wise.
- There is still room for newsletters and there's still room for newsletters to evolve.
- Newsletters aren't going anywhere and will keep becoming more and more popular as the creator economy booms.
Newsletter + Guest Info:
- Ernie Smith: https://twitter.com/ShortFormErnie
- Tedium: https://tedium.co/
- Newsletter Nerds: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewsletterNerds
Newsletter Crew Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.