About this episode: This week I had the opportunity to sit down with Andrew Kamphey and Nii Ahene to talk about their recent newsletter acquisition they did. Nii has officially acquired Influence Weekly, a weekly newsletter on the Influencer Marketing industry. Andrew ran this newsletter for 3 years before Nii acquired it. And in this episode we’re going to dive deep into their story. It’s almost going to be a retrospective on this acquisition. This is a highly recommended episode for anyone that’s interested in ever selling their newsletter.
Show Notes & Insights:
- Acquiring a newsletter is a great way to earn income while forcing yourself to learn about a market/industry.
- Selling a newsletter doesn’t need to be black and white, it can be a conversation!
- Partnering on a newsletter is a whole other game compared to simply acquiring it.
- It’s better to leave your newsletter unoptimized for when you want to sell it. This gives the buyer an opportunity to improve it and increase revenue.
- There is no “best time” to sell your newsletter. It’s all up to the writer.
- Don’t just price your newsletter based on how much revenue it’s generating. If there are other assets apart from the sale, make sure you’re compensated for those. Ask the buyer how much of these parts are worth.
- When the buyer gives you an offer, try to figure out how they arrived at the number, even if it’s lower or higher than you thought it’s worth.
- The revenue isn’t the only thing you should focus on when selling your newsletter. The duration of the support you’ll need to provide with the transition also plays a role in the price. If you need to support the product for 6-months after the acquisition, you should include that into the sale price.
- When you’re selling your newsletter, get ready for the due diligence process. Documenting everything as you build your newsletter will make this processes go smoother.
- The due diligence process is about getting context on why things are the way things are.
- Don’t discount the ability to help the buyer of your newsletter transition and run the business.
Newsletter + Guest Info:
Newsletter Crew Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.