About this episode: This week I sat down with Marie Dolle, a newsletter creator with over 4k subscribers who is also pushing the edge with newsletter innovations. In this episode we talk about the unique types of monetization opening up for newsletters and also some of the unique ways newsletters are doing advertising. This episode is great for anyone interested in how newsletters will monetize in the future.
Show Notes & Insights:
- Paid access to newsletter content goes against what the internet was made for, which is scale. This also means your best content is hidden behind a paywall for one a small set of subscribers to access and benefit from.
- There is no best monetization path for your newsletter. All monetization strategies can work but you need to try out all of them and see what works best for you. Don’t just pick whatever the most popular strategy.
- What many don’t realize is that the act of just writing a consistent newsletter and building an audience will bring in enough work opportunities to sustain you. Perhaps even more revenue than if you ran a paid newsletter.
- A few opportunities your newsletter can bring you: speaking at events, workshops, consulting, etc.
- How you monetize your newsletter is also based on if you’re planning on doing it full-time or solely a side-business.
- Blended advertising is advertising that takes the tone of the newsletter. Some great examples include Morning Brew and Dense Discovery. Blended advertising puts the ad to life and sometimes is enjoyable reading it.
- One under-looked type of monetization is to just sell products or goods to your newsletter. This could be courses, ebooks, physical goods, etc.
- The newsletter writing the advertising for the advertiser in the newsletters tone is the future of paid advertising.
- Unlocking the commons is a newsletter monetization strategy where the top subscribers would pay for everyone to have access to it.
- Digital currency and tokens is going to be an interesting newsletter monetization method in the next coming years. You could enable subscribers to earn tokens when they engage with your newsletter. Every Time they open it, leave feedback, reply, share, etc.
Newsletter + Guest Info:
Newsletter Crew Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.