About this episode: On this episode of the Newsletter Crew podcast we have Rosie Sherry. She’s the expert on community building, community manager at IndieHackers, founder and unschooling mother to my 5 children. As a community builder myself, I really look up to Rosie and her insights. I’m so glad I had the chance to speak with her. We’ll discuss Rosies newsletter called Rosieland, value adds to premium newsletter subscriptions, how newsletter creators can expand on their newsletter by building a community around it, and the ways they can accomplish that goal.
Show Notes & Insights:
- Many people think they know how to build communities by adding a lot of tech to it. Rosie does not believe that’s what creates sustainable communities.
- The easiest way to break into any subject is to create a curation based newsletter around it.
- A weekly newsletter creates accountability for the creator to produce something weekly and keep up with their niche.
- Rosie has a weekly free curation based newsletter. Her paid version has more in-depth blog typewriting and also a private notion board.
- Rosie has been considering doing chats, meetups, and podcasts to bring more of a community gathering around her newsletter.
- It is not essential to build an audience first before you can start building a community.
- A premium subscription makes the newsletter creator accountable to deliver content weekly.
- Rosie wouldn’t have gotten her paid subscribers if she hasn’t spent the 43 weeks prior to sending out her free newsletters.
- To create more community with your newsletter start adding extra dimensions to it. Virtual meetups, podcasts, webinars, etc.
- The most successful newsletter creators turn their following into a community.
- Substack is moving into a more community-centric platform.
- If you’re looking to start a community from your newsletter you need to start knowing who they intimately are.
- You don’t need to be an expert to create a successful newsletter in your niche. You simply need to want to be an expert.
- Results will come with the habits you build.
Guest + Newsletter Info:
Patreon: if you’re interested in supporting the show, become a patron here https://www.patreon.com/newslettercrew. We’ll be reading the supporters each week.
Newsletter Crew Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.