About this episode: This week we have Nic Getkate from The Slice, a curated newsletter for solopreneurs, bootstrappers, and indie founders. On this episode we’ll dive into Nic’s recommendations on how to improve your newsletter deliverability and shield it from the dreaded spam box. As we know having our newsletters hit the spam box is one of the worst things that could happen. So you don’t want to miss this episode if you’re interested in how to improve it. We’ll also talk about his monetization strategy as being a curation based newsletter. Then we’ll touch on the marketing channels he’s been using to grow his newsletter to what is not over 500 subscribers.
Feature Newsletter Growth Story: This week we’re featuring the amazing newsletter Your Weekly Whine, a weekly newsletter to brighten up your day with a cute dog picture and some wine tips. Your Weekly Whine has seen 80% faster growth since starting to use SparkLoop for their referral program tool. Check our SparkLoop if you’re looking to achieve those growth numbers.
Newsletter Crew Membership: https://newslettercrew.memberful.com/checkout?plan=45199
Join the Newsletter Crew and get access to a community of successful newsletter creators that know what it takes to build a newsletter business. You’ll get access to the forums, chat, and the private podcast stream. There are some amazing things happening that you don’t want to miss out.
Show Notes & Insights:
- Don’t be afraid to pivot your newsletter and try different formats and topics out until you find what resonates with your subscribers.
- There has been an uptick in popularity with curation based newsletters and they’re much easier to create versus pure new content based newsletters.
- A newsletter doesn’t need to be some professional text, it can be casual. Many subscribers love that! It’s more personal.
- Stick to a deadline and plan exactly what you need to do every week. It takes time to create a newsletter.
- If the UI of your newsletter isn’t compelling people aren’t going to read it.
- Your newsletter looks the same as everyone else’s with Substack. There’s no personality with Substack.
- EmailOctupus plans are amazing and so easy to use.
- Make sure to be verified with whatever email service provider you’re using. This will help with your newsletter’s credibility.
- You must have certain levels of encryption for your emails to add extra credibility. Such as your SPF, DMARC, and DKIM.
- If your email sounds like it’s trying to sell something, it could hit the spam inbox.
- Don’t include words like sale, 50% off, discount, coupon, or anything that may sound like you’re selling something.
- Having your newsletter on our own domain will help with spam and deliverability.
- If you’re adding sponsors make it flow and fit with your newsletter so the subscriber doesn’t even notice.
- Sponsorship is better for a curation based newsletter. Subscriptions are better for original content based newsletters.
Newsletter + Guest Info:
If you’re interested in purchasing the Profitable Newsletter course, please use the link below to help support the show.
Newsletter: Join the newsletter to get amazing curated content on how to be a more successful newsletter creator. Go to https://newslettercrew.com/newsletter.
Patreon: if you’re interested in supporting the show, become a patron here https://www.patreon.com/newslettercrew. We’ll be reading the supporters each week.