About this episode: This week we have the titan Andrew Kamphey with us. He runs two amazing newsletters, Influence Weekly and Better Sheets. He’s been newsletter space for many years and is one of the most knowledgeable individuals in this space. If you’re interested in the exact steps on how to grow your newsletter from 0 to 10,000+ subscribers, you really won’t want to miss this episode. We’ll also dive deep into monetization and sponsorships.
Newsletter Crew Membership: https://newslettercrew.memberful.com/checkout?plan=45199
Join the Newsletter Crew and get access to a community of successful newsletter creators that know what it takes to build a newsletter business. You’ll get access to the forums, chat, and the private podcast stream. There are some amazing things happening that you don’t want to miss out.
- The subscriber count is not a good proxy for a newsletter lifecycle.
- Being specific doesn’t mean you’ll have a small audience.
- Just be specific on what you’re writing about.
- If you haven’t started a newsletter yet, just launch.
- Keep reaching out to your network for growth.
- Once you reach 50 subscribers, your goal is not to scale, your goal is to find the 51st subscriber.
- Your subscribers are the complete whole of two joined Venn Diagrams. There’s also a larger audience of anyone who’s interested in any of those parts.
- You’re going to get into people’s networks by featuring them.
- Specifically, email the people you featured in your newsletter.
- Who you are, your content and your audience will inform how you monetize.
- Each newsletter will have their own way of monetization. Some work best as a subscription-based model while others with sponsorship.
- Ads don’t necessarily need to be something that feels wrong. Curated ads can actually help users and be content on their own.
- Make sure your newsletter is informed, insightful, positive for your audience.
- On average, 150 minutes is spent going back and forth with a potential sponsor which may or may not lead to a sale.
- It’s a fallacy to think you need to hit the 1000 subscriber mark before you can start monetizing your newsletter.
- “I would recommend within the first six months you should switch platforms.”
- “I started the newsletter to better my chances of having a career in this industry.”
- “I want a newsletter for billionaires.”
- “The content is only half the equation the other half is who’s it’s for.”
- “Anyone who writes a newsletter should have the word for in their description.”
- “Your mom should be subscriber one.”
- “You’re going to get into people’s networks by featuring them.”
- “In the growth phase of a newsletter find any way you can feature other people.”
Guest + Newsletter Info:
- Influence Weekly: https://influenceweekly.co/
- Better Sheets: http://bettersheets.co/
- HypeLetter: https://hypeletter.com/
- Andrew Kamphey: https://twitter.com/kamphey
If you’re interested in purchasing the Profitable Newsletter course, please use the link below to help support the show.
Newsletter: Join the newsletter to get amazing curated content on how to build, run, and grow your newsletter. Go to https://newslettercrew.com/newsletter.
Patreon: if you’re interested in supporting the show, become a patron here https://www.patreon.com/newslettercrew. We’ll be reading the supporters each week.